Graham Johnson: Recognising 50 Years of Service
The history of the Daramalan Rugby Club and the Gungahlin Eagles Rugby Club is one of triumphs, challenges, twists and turns.
In 52 years, we’ve seen 12 Presidents, 17 Club coaches, 26 Life Members, 520 1st-Grade Players, and a total of 1200 players along with their partners, family and friends. They all gave their heart and soul for the club that thrives today because of their efforts.
If there are three things that have remained consistent for this proud club, they are:
1. The Old Gold Eagle
2. The Red & Black colours
3. Graham Johnson’s loyal service
In the lead up to Heritage Round, this Saturday June 1 as we take on the arch-rival in Royals for a top of the table clash, we’d like to acknowledge Graham’s commitment to the club.
His Eagles resume is unlike any other:
– Joined as a player in the formative years of the club (1969)
– Joined the club committee as a volunteer (1971)
– Played in the first Eagles 1st Grade team (1973)
– Played 35 1st Grade games, 120 in total
– Club Person of the Year (1977)
– Committee Member of the Licensed Club (opened 1978)
– Played 4th Grade premiership (1978)
– Captain/Coached 3rd Grade premiership (1980)
– Inducted as a Life Member (1985)
– Coached 3rd Grade premiership (1986)
– Coached 2nd Grade premiership (1991)
– Joint Club Person of the Year, alongside the beautiful Pauline (1991)
– Club Treasurer of 11 years (1992)
– Recipient of an Australian Sports Medal (2000)
– Various Teams’ Manager of 10 years (current)
Along with these accolades and achievements, Graham will tell you his fondest memories of the club are hard to pinpoint.
“A lot can happen in 50 years, and it certainly has. Especially with so many great achievements of the club” Johnson says.
“Some of the most exciting times I can remember are getting elevated to 1st Grade in ’73, winning premierships as a player and coach, the opening of the clubhouse in ’78, the golden era of the ’80s, and of course watching the ’03 premiership”
This weekend at the Red & Black Ball the club will honour Graham’s 50 years of service with a small presentation. The evening is a great opportunity for the entire Eagles family – PLayers, Volunteers, Old boys, Partners, Parents, Family and Friends – to come together for a night of food, drink, live music, comedy, Heritage Round Jersey auction and plenty more. Purchase your tickets here: www.trybooking.com/BCHQA (Sales close 5pm Thursday 30 May).
Club president Eoghan O’Byrne speaks on behalf of the entire club in congratulating and thanking Graham for his years of hard work.
“Graham represents everything we love about the Eagles. He epitomises our values of respect, passion, discipline, and loyalty, and has done for 50 years now”
“We often say that the culture and success of the club is because of the great people within it, Graham is a great example of that, and I encourage all of us to draw inspiration from Graham’s contribution.”
“I couldn’t think of a more fitting recipient for Volunteer of the Week in the lead up to Heritage Round than Graham Johnson. Thank you and congratulations”